THE U.S CENSUS 2010.
Many Arab-Americans check "white on the U.S Census. Why community leaders want to change that.
The whole article here
SUMMARY
Short (13 words)
Some Arab-Americans still neglect about provide racial information on the U.S Census.
Long (55 words)
Some Arab-Americans still neglect about provide racial information on the U.S census, even though their answers are protected by the Federal law. Therefore, some Arab-American groups are promoting a campaign, which educates their communities about the benefits of answering the census correctly. They will be counted and assimilated as part of the U.S.
Reaction (63 words)
This article makes me realize that racial question on the census form could be difficult to answer if we don't know what exactly race we allow. As an ecuadorian descendant with multiple races , such as "indigenous" , I was confused.
I had to create a new one since there were not options related to mine. Let's see how many "meztizos" there are in the U.S.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yessi,I agree with you because I faced the same situation while I was filling the census form too. Since I am from the Dominican Republic, and there is not a specific race there, I wasn't sure of what to put. I decided to research a little bit more in the internet to find out in which category I fit into.
ReplyDeleteThat is true, I saw in the Census that there is not a specific race for people with several descendats. There is a big mix in Latin Amrican countries. I realy don't know what race I am, so I think i have a little from everything...
ReplyDeleteAs we all know when we talk about census we are talking about a serious business or important information that the government needs to be able for making easy plans in the future specially in this case "the racial identity" which is going to identify every single resident from each other.
ReplyDelete